Foundation Course in Insurance
It is in the best interest of insurers to have staff with the knowledge in the area of insurance. The insurance industry often employs personnel who may not have the requisite knowledge on with regard to the practice of insurance. The level of customer service is also pegged on understanding one’s area of practice. Insurers willing to give excellent service to current and potential customers must then ensure that their staff both in technical and support departments have at least the minimum qualifications or are knowledgeable in relation to insurance operations. This course thus offer the basic insurance knowledge on insurance to enable them handle customers effectively. The participant is able to appreciate how insurance works and give some level of support to other departments.
To provide participants with basic and essential knowledge and understanding of the principles and practice of General Insurance.
- The Concept of Risk and Insurance
- Historical development and Functions of insurance.
- Fundamental principles of insurance – insurable interest, utmost good faith, indemnity, subrogation, contribution and proximate cause.
- The law of contract and agency and their application to Insurance
- Classes of general and life insurance
- Underwriting, Rating and Documentation in insurance
- Reinsurance – Need for reinsurances, reinsurance programming, methods of reinsurance, and the reinsurance market.
- General insurance claims handling/administration
- The Concept and practice of Micro-insurance, Bancassurance and Takaful
- Insurance sales and marketing
- Quality Customer Care and Business Ethics
- Stress and Time Management
- New staff in the insurance industry who have had no experience or a few years’ experience in the practice of insurance business
- Staff for who job rotation is planned
- Staff who may be transferred from head office to a branch where they are to handle and coordinate different operations.
- Staff with growth potential who have not had the opportunity of undertaking self-study for professional examinations.
- Staff working in support departments such as accounts audit and marketing etc. and have not been exposed to basic principles and practice of general insurance.
- Staff in non-insurance organization but handling insurance matters.
How to apply
All candidates must follow the application steps where they provide their details and select units. An invoice will be sent to the email address of the applicant with payment instructions.